Thursday, December 09, 2004

Currently reading:

I thought there were no homeschooling books in our city library - apparently there is ONE and I have it in my hot little hands right now. "Homeschooling- A Parents Guide to Teaching Children" by Samuel L. Blumenfeld.

This books seems easy to read and the chapters are small enough that I can manage to read a little at a time and still remember what I've read (important for me!).

Overall, from the skimming I've done - it seems to be a bit too much of "this doesn't work, schools don't work, whole-word reading doesn't work" than an actual helpful "this is what works" sort of book.

I have only just skimmed through the first part of the book and while there are definitely things I can relate to (indeed any parent can find something to relate to there when it comes to our children's education) there are a few areas where I cannot agree. He seems to be totally against traditional schooling while though I think at the moment I would love my son to be homeschooled, I can see a time where he may want to attend school or a time when I cannot teach him as well as school (?) so I've still left attending school as an option for the future.

I understand how some may perceive this as a cop-out - if I'm not in it for the long term then how am I any better than the teachers who are only interested in him for the year they will be teaching him?

The difference is that as a parent, when it comes to my child's education I will *always* be in it for the long haul.

More about the book as I read on...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Salamu Alaikum
Rebecca Rupp is a wonderful authoress on homeschooling. I just returned one of her books to the library, Home Learning Year by Year. It is a quick reference guide to what they should be learning each year in a way cool way. Also lots of useful resources and suggestions. You can probably get it from amazon.com.
Also, regarding reading, Teach Your Child to Read in 10 Minutes a Day by Sidney Ledson seems to be great. I am implementing it with my son and am so far impressed.
Wa salam
Hijab Wannabe
http://hijabwannabe.blogspot.com/

Raising the Omar Generation
http://biltawfik.blogspot.com/

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home